HIV/AIDS in Lesotho
I wrote this in response to a friend's question about the socioeconomic impact of HIV/AIDS here in Lesotho:
---I have to say the situation is pretty grim. I went to the Maseru Children's village last week and it broke my heart. A lot of the children are HIV + themselves and are pretty sick. Without ARV most of them will be dead within a year or two at the most because their immune systems are so compromised. Even if they do get ARV treatment the question is what becomes of them living with this disease and no social support system or money? There is no employment here in Lesotho and South Africa these days is no better. HIV/AIDS is very stigmatized here and many of these children have been abandoned by their extended families or their families just don't have the funds or capacity to support them (remember this is one of the poorest countries on earth). The situation in the rural areas is just down right frightening with many child-headed households. Young orphans are also the most vulnerable to economic and sexual exploitation. The myth that a young female virgin (and when I say young I'm talking age 3 and up) can cure you of HIV/AIDS is still alive and its impact on vulnerable female orphans is evident even from my short time here (the rape and child/teenage pregnancy statistics are beyond depressing).
Right now the estimated HIV prevalence rate among adults (ages 15-49) here is upwards of 37%! Among pregnant women it's closer to 40%. Women take the brunt of the disease because many men are migrant workers to the South African gold and diamond mines where HIV runs rampant. Women under the law here are also considered minors and cannot own property, take out loans, or have certain operations without their husband, brother or father's consent. The irony is that more women complete primary and secondary school here then men.
---The clinicians that I have talked to are overwhelmed and overworked, although the introduction of ARV has given them some more hope. The problem of course is that you can't just stick 2 million people on ARV. The cost would be astronomical and is just not feasible. The question of course is how does the country simultaneously push prevention, treatment, and social support efforts (particularly toward children and youth) at the same time with such a slow bureaucracy, highly centralized public health system, and NGO donors who want to do things their way without much input from local stakeholders. I've only been here a short time and I'm already frustrated.


3 Comments:
Dear Tarra! I can only begin to imagine your frustration. It does sound hopeless. But at least there are efforts to cover all angles (prevention and treatment). And I truly believe that as long as dedicated individuals like yourself keep coming in and doing their bit to help then the chain of helpers (it has to be a chain - such a task is insurmountable for individuals) will make a difference. Makes you think, though, how spoilt we all are in our lives, doesn't it? Don't be depressed or frustrated. Better to do what you can for a while and then get out to regenerate. I have to say, you have gained a lot of insight in the short while you've been there. I can see you really know the right questions to ask...Take care, my friend.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tarra! Can you talk more about the issue of stigmatization and efforts to combat this? What is going on with regards to education regarding the exploitation of "female virgins" as a cure? What is the political situation, vis a vis improvement of women's rights, analysis of the systemic/political factors -- applying Farmer principles? Take care and productive travels! Miss you here, but glad for you you're there!
Post a Comment
<< Home