Wednesday, November 15, 2006

In the land of medicine

As I mentioned yesterday I'm currently staying in Boston (okay, technically Jamaica Plains) with a friend of mine who was a volunteer doctor in Lesotho. I've already had dinner with two other volunteer docs and I have a few more meetings with other ex- Lesotho comrades this week. Last night there was an international health journal club meeting for BU docs here at my friend's place. In some respects it almost turned into a group therapy session for all of us that had been posted at Maluti Hospital! Most of the docs dealt with a lot of death during their time in Lesotho and never had time to fully digest and process what they witnessed before being thrust back into the high tech medical world of Boston/USA. The other problem (as I am once again experiencing) is that people at home want a convenient sound bite to the question "So, how was Africa?" (note: most ignorant Yanks think the whole continent of Africa is one big, happy country....grrr). How do you describe everything you experienced over a year in 30 seconds?? Suggestions are welcome!

1 Comments:

At Sun Nov 19, 04:56:00 AM, Blogger Kristjan Selvig said...

Phepi, 'M'e Rethabile! U tla phela hamonate kamorao u noa gin le tonic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


visited 35 states (15.5%)
Create your own visited map of The World