Back in the center of power
After a cross-continental hegira and a hair-raising landing last night, I'm back in DC for a conference and just managed to wrap up a one day long meeting where I had a brief presentation. Post-presentation I went out for drinks with my boss and another colleague. Very enlightening on many fronts.
Being back in DC with my relatively new colleagues is strange. It's as if two parts of my life have collided. Meeting with folks from a prior organization that I worked in and directing my current colleagues around the city made me realize how much I have experienced, for better and worse, over the past five years. I opted out of a company kumbaya dinner this evening and instead went for a long walk around the city to enjoy the warm night air and mull over some issues. I have come to the realization that I can't be desk bound. I need to interact with people and problem solve or I start to go stir crazy. I love technical work but I also need to see its translation and application in the real world. This problem will be addressed in the coming months (see my prior posting re: new opportunities in my organization) so I will keep you abreast of the developing news and continuing adventures of Tarra.


1 Comments:
I struggle, too, with being disconnected from people's realities and I totally miss working as an extreme problem solver in a community clinic setting. Don't get me wrong, I work for an awesome health plan that values community health, but I'm disconnected from what's really important - people who need good, affordable health care. But the second big thing I crave, almost as much as being in touch with patients, is working with dedicated, talented colleagues who have perspective and allow wise perspective to guide their work. No more undies in a bunch or bullying for me!!! Where on earth do we find these meaningful jobs staffed by sane people????
Post a Comment
<< Home