Potential research project in Mapoteng
Check out this website:
http://www.maluti-adventist-hospital.com
There is an ongoing funded project called CHIME (Community Health Improvement, Maluti Environment) that is seeking to impove HIV and TB care and services in the hospital's rural catchment area and develop an ARV/DOTS treatment model in a resource poor area along the lines of Dr. Paul Farmer's HIV/AIDS work in rural Haiti and some of the work done by doctors without borders in South Africa. There is a medical researcher who is willing to provide technical support (she is a pediatrician based in Pretoria, SA) but they need a behavioral scientist on the ground to do the legwork in the clinic and out in the rural villages. It looks promising.


3 Comments:
Sounds just like your sort of gig. See - track experience is a good thing :-)
My delay in checking in with your blog meant that I was often on my way home (when I would normally call you) thinking "Damnit, I can't call Tarra, I need to remember to check her website tomorrow." But it gave me the advantage of reading your postings all at once with none of the frustration I will now feel waiting for your next posting. You are a fantastic writer. I can hear your voice telling each story. You know how I feel about a well-told story. I hear your frustration and I thank goodness you are there with your insight, courage, expertise and heart to learn and bear witness. You are one of the beautiful people and I love you for it.
Your sheep story reminded me of a similar encounter my grandmother had in Northumberland, PA- scared by a sheep face in the window while doing the breakfast dishes. And your most recent posting of course sent me scrambling through the internet in search of info about Dr Farmer and a remedy to my own ignorance. So much I don't know, so glad you do what you do and choose to tell me about it. As always it is a joy to travel with you McNally.
This sounds really interesting! How wonderful to make such an important and real contribution, AND do your work! The right thing will work out...:-)
PS I'll treat you to a Guiness upon your return, so sad not to have one on St. Pat's Day! Whenever I have a Michelob Light now it just seems WRONG...lol
Post a Comment
<< Home