The Old Man
Okay, first of all this is not a posting about my ongoing adventures in Lesotho but a few words about my dad (aka "the old man") which I thought would be appropriate on Father's Day. My dad is a 66 year old Irishman with a great heart, a thick accent, a sharp wit, and an eclectic appreciation of opera, football (no, NOT American football!), rugby, the beauty of a well designed bridge, and a single malt whiskey. He has traveled the world (everywhere from Egypt to Australia), proudly served in the US Army Corps of Engineers, supported his family, danced my mum off her feet a few hundred times, and above all has loved his children despite their many flaws and stubborn ways! I still remember when I was a kid the sheer pleasure of hearing my dad's truck trying to get out of the driveway in the morning during a bad snow storm and realizing that when he gave up and came back in with his thermos of tea that: a) we didn't have school; and b) dad was going to be home the whole day and we could shovel snow with him!! Ahh...the simple pleasures of childhood!
Happy Father's Day old man, from the kid (hey, even at 31 I'm still his kid!) who gave you a reason to celebrate the day in the first place!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home