Another day, another village
HIV/AIDS is taking a huge toll on this country and you can see it in the eyes of the orphans and grandmothers who are struggling to take care of them. It is a disease that leaves behind the most vulnerable (i.e. children and the elderly) and strips them of all of their dignity and hope. I went to one home today where an elderly grandmother was lying on the floor on a pallet next to her 3-months old grandson with three other grandchildren nearby. The woman has lost her two daughters and a son to AIDS and has recently suffered a stroke so her movement is severely restricted. The infant's mother was diagnosed with stage-3 AIDS 6 months ago and died on the operating table giving birth. The grandmother alone is left to fend for the these grandchildren (two other grandchildren were sent to their fathers' families but those families are also overwhelmed with orphans). She recently came to the hospital for treatment and asked for help to buy formula for the infant (a large can costs about$12 and lasts for three weeks). Due to the red tape and overwhelming number of cases similar to hers she never received the formula. I finally bit the bullet and went and bought several cans and hiked over to her small rondavel with the clinical nurse. I see so many cases like this that it's beyond heartbreaking. All I can say is be thankful for all that you have (family, health, opportunities) and never take anything for granted. I think has been the greatest lesson I've learned from this experience so far.


2 Comments:
It is true, Tarra, we live priviliged lives. But at the end of the day we all carry and have our miseries, dramas, and fears. That is inevitable. For ggod or bad, human beings live according their circumstances.
In a related matter, are you optimistic about a real and considerable improvement in a solution (whatever this is) for AIDS in Africa? i will like to know your opinion as a medic and African expert.
I have to say I find that comment by Hernan a bit BLASE! I think that if we all put some PERSPECTIVE into our lives and remember that there are people who have REAL problems like the ones Tarra recounted about the grandmother and her grandchildren, then all our "miseries, dramas, and fears" should take on a different intensity. Many things you begin to wonder: Is THIS worth stressing about? As for a solution/improvement of the situation... I think Tarra has just improved the situation and health of one family by buying a few cans of baby formula. If each of us did something like that (helping someone ONE TO ONE!) occasionally instead of studying the statistics on mortality and getting lost in the red tape maybe the statistics would be less dire!!! So I give you my deepest respect Tarra, for changing that grandmothers world.
Post a Comment
<< Home