Know your audience
Another day, another encounter with the black hole of politics in this country. I find myself watching every word I say and gauging every person I encounter with the thought: “Who are they and why are they interested in talking to me?” Perhaps it’s verging on paranoia but I get a sense that as we hurtle towards the election period (assuming there is an election) that the security and police forces are out in full force. Today, as I was sitting at the hotel in between meetings and getting some work done on my laptop, I had an encounter with a cop. Nice enough chap but I could feel a chill slide down my spine as the "friendly" questions became more probing. I quickly escaped from the encounter using the excuse of an impending meeting. Last night, at dinner with my colleagues we swapped stories about encountering looters and thugs in the center of the city while we slugged down another beer, wine or gin and tonic to numb the creeping sense of futility in making plans or accomplishing good work. I really like this country and its people but I can’t help feel a growing sense of doom. I really hope I’m wrong on this one.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home