
This is a picture of Gourock, a small town in western Scotland that my mother is from and where I spent a good part of my childhood running amok with my crazy Scottish pals terrorizing grannies and golfers. We had a pint size mafia which took out golf balls on the local course much to the anger and dismay of the players who would run after us shouting "You little buggers! I'm going to tan your arse if I catch ye!" I was the token Yank but I was given honorary Scottish status because of my mum (who would tan the arse of any little Scottish kid who might lay a finger on me or my brother!). I have two favorite memories of this time. The first is when I would climb up Tower Hill (the hill to the left side of the town) and look out over the highlands in the distance. The other favorite memory is when my nana (grandmother) would take us to the
chippy (fish and chips)
on a typically chilly and wet Friday night and we would load up on hot, fresh, and greasy chips (french fries) liberally sprinkled with malt vinegar and breaded fish wrapped up in newspaper. Alba gu brath!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home