Pet me! : What I've learned from owning animals
As I am typing this I have a 12 lb cat sitting on my lap purring away (yep, it’s Prince Tigre from Lesotho). Reflecting back over my life I have to say that I’ve learned quite a bit from the pets I’ve owned about: responsibility, affection, rodent control techniques, loyalty, and who really rules the roost. I think my fellow humans could also learn a thing or two from their pets or just animals in general. Take Tigre for instance, I was sitting here writing away and suddenly he jumps over from my bed and plunks himself down on my lap (and believe me you will notice when a 12 pound cat comes calling) purring loudly. This is his not-so-subtle way of saying “Pet me, dammit!” I remember as a kid when my dog Hamish would see me coming in the door or backyard and he would high tail it towards me barking excitedly and then jump on me (read: “Pet me/feed me, dammit!”). Unfortunately, I cannot recall a similar experience with my rabbit (Peter, of course) whose only show of affection was his ear twitching when I showed up with a juicy carrot or lettuce. There are many times I wish I could I could go up to someone when I’m hungry and say “Feed me, dammit!” or when in need of affection I could just jump on the gorgeous male lap of choice and say “Pet me, dammit!” but alas us human primates are a much more socially and emotionally complex bunch who need our social hierarchies, limited and scripted grooming rituals, and drama (read: “Hmm…can I jump on his lap? Does he like me, does he not like me?”). Definitely makes things a bit murkier than your average cat or dog’s needs. Maybe we would all be better off with an occasional trip to the groomer, a bowl of water, some kibbles n’ bits, and some affection on a daily basis, and when we don’t get these needs met perhaps a good bark, meow, or nip might suffice to get some attention! Just a thought!
Next destination: Hawaii on Thursday!! I will post plenty of photos to make everyone suitably jealous!


1 Comments:
If I had known about this in advance, I would've been tempted to murder you and take your place. Instead, here I sit, trying to ignore my latest crisis, vainly attempting to write my own thesis as my 18lb cat just jumps up and lays on my shoulder... Oh well. I don't have the legs to pull it off anyhow.
Post a Comment
<< Home