Sunday, January 25, 2009

Surf and Sun

I'm sitting here on the porch of the Honu Kai Bed & Breakfast in Kona, Hawai'i watching the sun set and simply enjoying the sensation of bare feet and the ocean breeze on my skin. Living in the northwest has been depressing for the last few months with snow, rain, fog, cloudy skies and a cold, howling wind that never seems to subside. I'm only here for a few days but I'll take whatever respite I can. I got into town yesterday afternoon and drove up to the B&B, which is located up on the hills fronting one side of Kona. The B&B is gorgeous; my idea of an ideal home. It has a wide covered lanai (porch) and is surrounded by old growth, lush tropical rainforest. I ended up last night at the beach with two friends (one Aussie who used to be a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader and another gal who was a Navy nurse in Vietnam...lots of stories!). Much wine and good food was consumed while we watched the sun set over the Pacific, not to mention lots of juicy advice re: men (8 husbands between the two of them!!!). The nurse also gave me some great medical contacts in the islands when I told her that I was planning to move here for medical training and beyond.

As for today, I wrote quite a bit this morning and then went exploring some beaches up north this afternoon and used my new snorkel mask and swimming gear. Now I have a bit of a glow and a big ol' smile plastered on my face! Sweet aloha!

2 Comments:

At Sun Jan 25, 10:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm smiling thinking of you out there on your lanai. Jealous, sure, but that's just how these things go. Enjoy the respite--you deserve it.
--Hart

 
At Mon Jan 26, 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Kristjan Selvig said...

YIPPIE FOR TARRA!!!! I mean, sure, Hawaii doesn't offer what Minnesota has to offer, but I'm sure you'll manage to cope somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


visited 35 states (15.5%)
Create your own visited map of The World