Countdown to Mount Kilimanjaro

I started my physical training program this week for my Mt. Kilimanjaro climb in early August. To say it’s kicking my butt would be the understatement of the century but physical exhaustion combined with an endorphin high has been a godsend. The training program involves both walking and running outdoors (flat and inclined areas), strength training in the gym, and long hikes that feature elevation climbs. Next weekend I’m hoping I can convince my friend who is visiting from out-of-town to do the Copper Canyon Falls hike with me: http://outdoorla.org/trails/39/Cooper+Canyon+Falls.html to ease me into the adjustment from sea level (I live a ½ block from the beach!) to 5,895m. I hope to post pics of my hikes around Southern and Northern California over the next few months with a brief Zimbabwe & Cape Town hejira from April 24-May 10th.
Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro has been on my bucket list since I was a kid but I’m not fooling myself that this will be an easy climb, far from it. Only 30% of the people who attempt the climb make the summit. Altitude sickness, dizziness, pulmonary edema etc. are all risks and the lack of a physically fit body could kill you. I’m excited (relieved?!) to do this climb with one experienced climber and two doctors, the former to save me from falling down the side of the mountain and the latter to treat me if I do! We are planning to take the more challenging Macahme Route: http://machame.com which takes you through various ecological zones (e.g., rainforest, alpine desert, moorland etc.) over the period of a week and has spectacular views. Since 4 out of the 5 hikers in the party are from the organization that I work for we are planning to do a fundraiser for our efforts. Basically, I will be huffing and puffing up the mountain to raise money to reduce maternal mortality. I’ll post details on the fundraising effort on my facebook page as the date approaches.
p.s. One of these days, I will figure out how to properly insert URL tags in my posts without messing up the format.


1 Comments:
Tarra this is so exciting. I will follow the reports eagerly and look forward to pics.
Post a Comment
<< Home