Monday, May 23, 2011

We speak the same language. I think.

Today was a balls to the wall sort of day. Multiple meetings (mostly scheduled at the last minute, god bless African standard time), documents that needed a Rosetta Stone to decipher, and to my surprise an incomprehensible language: English! I thought I had heard every creole version and dialect of English until I landed up in Liberia. At one point today, my colleague and I looked at each other and he mouthed the words: "Are they speaking English?!" I think our Liberian colleagues thought we were total idiots at one point because we kept asking them to spell out names, slow down and explain what they were saying, and generally speak to us like we were at a third grade level of English. I love linguistic diversity but when you can't communicate in the same damn language then "Houston, we have a problem!"

1 Comments:

At Mon May 23, 07:12:00 PM, Blogger Dawna Fuqua-Whitley said...

Hilarious! This reminded me of a time in Germany, after listening for weeks to nothing but German, and someone leaned across the table and spoke to me in English. I had no idea what they were saying :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


visited 35 states (15.5%)
Create your own visited map of The World