La Vida McNally
In spite of the telenovela like adventures of my life over the last few months (Mexican soap operas have nothing on mi vida loca) I finally feel like I have a direction! These last few months have been painful/insightful on so many levels but what they have shown me is what I TRULY want out of this short but beautiful life. So here is what I want (friends, family, and others take heed) in no specific order:
1. To live in a place that I can call home where I feel like part of a community; a community that isn't full of type A assholes trying to run over their grandma for the almighty dollar or to get political/academic connections or the next type of $100,000 Benz;
2. To live in a place where it's warm. I HATE cold. If I never see another goddamn snowflake for the rest of my life I will be a very happy woman. Santa Claus and a palm tree sounds good to me;
3. To have my own place where I can hang up my colorful textiles from around the globe, break out the amazing wood carvings, get a big ol' dog, and invite my friends and family over for a beer on the patio/lanai;
4. Have a job that I enjoy at least 75% of the time and which requires less than 60 hours of work per week;
5. Have someone to come home to that doesn't require too much maintenance just lots of good fun and understanding;
6. To have the opportunity to travel and explore for FUN;
7. Finish my PhD!!!!!!
8. Maybe have some some small person running about who drives me nuts...blame my niece on this one!
So those are my insights and goals at this point. It's sad that it's taken until 32 to figure all this out but better late than never. Soon I will be out of DC and on to better things (note: there is a word clue in this posting which may give you an idea of my next ideal destination!). Stay tuned in the meantime!


3 Comments:
All sounds good. Give yourself a break - some people never ever ever figure out what they want in life... I'd say your're doing pretty good. :-) S.
I'll second that!
- Bill L.
So Hawaii is all part of your master plan...well, my dear, excellent choice. I'll just live out my foreseeable future on the frozen plains of Minnesota. Let me be the first to say, though, that enjoying your job 75% of the time while working 40-hour work weeks is certainly NOT to be under-rated. And it helps to have an Afro-Lab to come home to.
Post a Comment
<< Home